Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Spotlight Artist #2: MISTERWIVES



This spotlight artist will be about MisterWives! They're a relatively new indie pop band that I've been loving since February, when they released their debut album Our Own House. They've had an EP come out before then and a couple of singles that followed, but this album has really put them up there as one of my favorite bands.



One of their singles
  • Twisted Tongue I actually listened to this song after falling in love with the band, so it was inevitable I'd like it. It just has such a fun beat that I just want to dance around to all the time. How can you not be drawn in?
My favorites from Our Own House
  • Our Own House My friend Kate showed me this song, and it was the first I had heard of the band. I pretty much became instantly addicted. Lead singer Mandy Lee has such a cool, raspy voice. You can hear how powerful it is, and I feel like she just puts everything into her singing. This song is super catchy, and I just love it.
  • Reflections This song was the title track of their EP, and it's a clear window into how they've been able to find success. This song feels somewhat familiar, and though it starts slow, the beat comes in quickly, and it becomes an upbeat backyard party song.
  • Box Around the Sun To me, this one sounds more alternative than the others. This may be why it's one of my favorites. "On and on and on..."
  • Best I Can Do And on the other end of the spectrum, I think this is one of the more pop songs in the album. I like that there are breaks in the song where the vocals are the focus, but they are followed by a fun burst of energy. 
The rest of the songs in the album that I still like a lot but I can't talk about everything or else this post will be ridiculously long:
  • Not Your Way
  • Oceans
  • Hurricane
  • Coffins
  • No Need For Dreaming
  • Imagination Infatuation
  • Vagabond
  • Queens
I do love this band, and hopefully after listening to their music, you have a lot of new songs to listen to! Indie pop often gets overlooked, and I don't get why. The lyrics are usually meaningful, the melodies are catchy, and they're just a pleasure to listen to. Enjoy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment