Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Maturity

College is a weird place. It's a step up from high school, but I don't think most college kids are ready to be adults either. Something I noticed is that a lot of college students think they are a lot more mature than they are.

I am definitely not saying that I am completely mature, because I'm not, but I did realize that this mindset really bothers me. And with this, I have a few qualities that I think characterize people who are not quite as mature as they think.

1. Thinking They Are Always Right
A big part of being grown up is being able to accept others' thoughts and opinions. Even if you don't completely agree, it's important to be able to at least see the other side of a situation rather than turn your nose up to it immediately. It is good to be confident in who you and what what you think, but those who can see a situation from any number of sides will ultimately be more successful. 



2. Being Incapable of Apologizing
This one is huge. I find that a lot of people have a hard time taking responsibilities for their actions. Whether or not you are aware that you are making a mistake, it is really important to be able to say, "I know I made a mistake, and I apologize." Don't just make up excuses for why something happened. Own up to it! This will make others appreciate you more because they will feel like you actually care about the decisions you make. Don't worry about making mistakes. We all do it. Just find it within yourself to apologize when you need to. 

3. Being Too Defensive
This goes along with being incapable of apologizing. If someone calls you on out something, accept it, make a change, and move on! Whatever it was bothered the person enough that he/she felt like they had to come to you about it. Don't make lame excuses about why you did something, and DEFINITELY do NOT turn it back onto them. For example, if someone says you were being mean, don't respond that it was because they were being rude. That is just immature. Just try not to be mean next time, and everyone will be happy. 

4. Being Judgmental
Don't judge a book by its cover! There is a reason this quote is so popular. There will always be more than meets the eye, so give everything and everyone a chance. You may totally miss out on an awesome friend or a new experience if you make snap judgments and decide he/she/it is not worth your time. In most cases, you will never lose anything by trying something new, so just do it! 

5. Telling Others You Are Mature
Finally, please don't go around telling people you are mature. That act itself just shows immaturity. If you think you are mature, make decisions that show that. People will definitely appreciate that more than if you say, "I am more mature than anyone else my age." That is just bothersome and irritating. 

I am still working on fixing these traits in myself, and I can honestly say that it is a bit of a struggle sometimes. I want to be taken seriously, and I know that the only way I can do that is if I am mature and poised. This is not the same thing as being boring, it's just showing a little more class in general. 

For me, I find it the most difficult to be nonjudgmental. I think it is human nature to believe everything friends, family, or people you trust tell you, but I want to try and form opinions for myself through my own experiences because maybe I will see something different in whatever it is I am looking at. 

Reevaluate your own life. Do you do these things? If you do, it's good that you are now aware. Slowly try to change what you think necessary, and I wish you luck! 



No comments:

Post a Comment